State Bank of India (SBI) is a government owned corporation and one of the most popular banks in India. There are vast number of vacancies for different posts available in SBI. There are posts such as Junior Associates, Junior Agricultural associates in Clerical Cadre, Senior Vice-President & Zonal Head, Specialist Cadre Officers, Officers in Specialised positions etc. but among them the most prestigious one is the position of Probationary Officer (PO).
With many perks and benefits such as Contributory Provident Fund, Lease Facility, Medical Benefits, Home Travel Concession / Leave Fare Concession, Concessional rate of interest for loans, Two-year sabbatical to women staff given to its recruited officers, SBI has become ‘the best bank’ to work in. Largely favoured post in SBI is that of the Probationary Officer so much so that its recruitment witness large number of candidates applying for the job including the PO’s of other banks! Let’s know more about SBI PO as a career in SBI:
What is SBI PO?
An SBI PO is an officer on maximum two years’ probation. SBI PO’s designation is that of an Assistant Manager. SBI PO is also known as Scale 1 Officer or Assistant Manager as they are in Junior Management Grade-1.
The job of SBI PO is multi tasked as they are assigned to different work. SBI PO during their probationary period are given training in field like Finance, Accounting, Marketing and Loans and Advances.
During the probationary period, the SBI PO has the following roles and responsibilities: –
- Loan Processing: SBI PO takes care of the documentation of loan which is to be granted to the customer.
- Customer Service: All the customer services like customer complaints, information on banking facilities, ATM Cards, Demand Draft, Cheque Books, Loans etc. are given and handled by the SBI PO.
- Payment Clearances: Payments beyond a certain limit through Demand Draft, Cheques etc. are handled by SBI PO.
- Report Verification: the SBI PO is supposed to handle end of the day reports on deposits, withdrawals, ledger balances etc.
Career Growth of SBI PO
SBI provides faster promotions to its employees as SBI has lots of vacancies in its various branches. The promotions in SBI keep happening after every 3-4 years. Working as an SBI PO you are also liable to receive foreign postings.
After SBI PO, you can get promoted quickly to high level ranks in course of your career. Hence, as a SBI PO you are likely to get promoted faster than as a PO of any other bank.
The levels of promotions after Probationary Officer in SBI are as follows:
- Probationary Officer (Assistant Manager, JMGS I)
- Deputy Manager (MMGS II)
- Manager (MMGS III)
- Chief Manager (SMGS IV)
- AGM (SMGS V)
- DGM (TEGS VI)
- GM (TEGS VII)
Salary of SBI PO
As a SBI PO, you will receive a basic pay of between 25,000 INR to 40,000/- depending upon the place you are posted: urban or rural. The salary per annum of SBI PO would be between 7 Lakh INR and 12 Lakh INR. SBI PO also receive certain allowances which are as follows:
- Dearness Allowance: 46% of Basic Pay
- City Compensatory Allowance: depends of the city you are posted and it varies from 4% to 3% to 0%.
- Special Allowance: 7.75% of Basic Pay
- HRA: depending on the city you are posted in and varies from 9% to 8% to 7%
- Accommodation: 8,000 INR-29,500 INR
- Medical Aid: 100% for self, 75% for family
Selection Process for SBI PO
State Bank of India announces recruitment for post of SBI PO every year. The recruitment process is done in two phases: Preliminary and Main exam. Candidates who get through Preliminary Exam, appear for Main Exam and if selected in Main Exam, they are called for Group Discussion and Personal Interview.
To register for the recruitment process candidates, have to visit official website: www.sbi.co.in/careers. After registration, candidates will pay the fees online only and upload their passport size photograph and signature and submit the application online.
If the application gets through, candidates will be able to download their Call letters which will be required in the examination and will also carry a proof pf identity to the examination.
There are specific number of chances given to candidates to apply for the exam. If all chances are used, then the candidate will no longer be able to apply for post of SBI PO. The number of chances, according to categories are listed in following table:
|Category||Number of Chances|
Who is eligible?
The appointment of SBI PO is only available to eligible Indian Citizens. The important eligibility criteria for SBI PO are as follows:
- Candidate must be graduate in any discipline from a recognized University.
- Candidates in Final year/ semester of their graduation may apply too but in the interview, if called, they will have to submit proof of passing graduation before August, 31st
- Candidates must not be below the age of 21 years and not be above the age of 30 years as on 01.04.2017. However, there is also Age relaxation that will be given to various categories.
So, to conclude, if you want higher salary and perks, fast promotions and growth opportunities and opportunities for foreign postings, you should take SBI PO for a career in SBI!