Talking about countertops, granite and marble are top-of-the-list materials to be sold around the world. Although, there is a cheaper, more maintenance free material available in the market – known as Quartz, these are more natural in feel, and expensive too.
It’s all about the taste and fashion which one should you choose, but just in case, if you’re puzzled, here’s a list of concerns and there their answers for you. In compiling these answers, Countertops Ottawa services have made a valuable contribution. So let’s get started!
What to Consider while Buying Marble or Granite Countertops in Ottawa
Because it is a natural stone, marble-and more recently granite-has been blessed with a remarkable natural beauty that has captivated humans throughout the ages. Inherent in such natural products is a certain lack of predictability that sophisticated architects and designers celebrate. Ottawa granite countertops have been quite popular anyhow.
Consumers who are less acquainted with the material expect the marble ordered to be identical to the picture or sample they were shown. Although sample stones are intended to be representative of the quarry’s product, the material quarried at one time may differ slightly in color an veining from the sample.
Moreover, even a single marble or granite slab will possess a certain amount of color variation from one end to the other. Interior designers and architects have come to view this tendency of natural stone as an advantage. Slight irregularities can be pleasing, introducing an element of the natural into human-designed spaces, whether residential or commercial.
Which One’s Better for Kitchen, Marble or Granite Countertop?
Although typical application of marble is for the bathroom vanity tops, Jacuzzi tops and fireplaces, it is possible to use it in the kitchen. However, due to the fact that it is easy to scratch and is affected by acidic substances, such as vinegars, ketchups etc, countertops Ottawa companies don’t usually recommend it. Moreover the high-gloss of the marble countertop can be partially lost as many chemicals etch its surface.
- Granite in turn is considered the second hardest stone.
- It is also not affected by typical kitchen heat such as hot pans.
- Its polish is not subject to etching by household acids, or scratching by knives and pots and pans under normal use.
Is it necessary to seal stone?
Since mineral surfaces are quite porous they absorb liquids, which may result in discoloring and staining. Although there are many commercial grade products available on the market which may bring the stone to its to its original luster, taking simple precautions and regular maintenance can save a lot of trouble and cost.
All marble an granite countertops are sealed immediately after they are installed.
- The impregnating substance penetrates the stone clogging most of its pores making its quite impervious to alcohol, juices, soft drinks, cosmetics, cleaners, coffee, food and even oil.
- With course of time, depending on how heavily the tops are used, the sealer gets washed out.
- The clear indication of this happening would be the fact that the liquids are easily absorbed into the stone leaving temporary (if promptly wiped off) stains.